Disability History and Advocacy 1
Participants learn the history of how disability has been viewed in various cultures around the world. They will not only become familiar with Disability History but will also become familiar with anything they choose.
- Participants will bring in news articles, their own experiences, and feelings to the table in class discussions that range from public perception of disability to the medical model of disability.
- Participants will take turns selecting the type of history they wish to study next in class.
- Participants will be responsible for doing some research about their topic of choice, through the use of the internet, magazines, books, etc.
- Once they have done the research, they will present it to the class, the class will create art projects such as collages related to the subjects discussed in class.
- Videos, art projects and demonstrations will be used to supplement and reinforce the information presented in class.